In all my years of being involved and around sales, marketing, and advertising, it surprises me how many small business owners don’t have someone working on business development.
Many an owner and manager I’ve met should be the biz dev person but they just don’t have the desire or truly understand what to do. I think this comes back to a couple of things and those are sales and social interaction.
I seemed to fall into the sales position when I was a little kid and it stuck with me all my life. If there was business to be had I was the one to go get it. That still stands true to this day. Some people are not wired this way but are very socially adept and can be referred to as a people person. They thrive in large or small social gatherings and settings.
Recently I was listening to a CD by Guy Kawasaki and he mentioned that part of what he does while he’s on his computer all day is Tweet. Now this really got my attention since he has been an extremely successful accomplished author, writer, and businessman.
Another business acquaintance that I made earlier this year has hundreds of thousands of people following him on Twitter and this was very exciting news!
Whether your business is online or offline, business development should be an integral part of your sales and marketing plans.
So what can you do to enhance your business development skills?
1) Learn the art of cultivating relationships. Read books and/or listen to audios on the subject. Take what you learn and polish your people skills.
2) Get involved in the industry, not just the companies you are looking to engage with. If you are tuned in, the opportunities might come your way. If you’re tuned out then they’ll pass you by.
3) When an opportunity comes your way, take action immediately.
4) Learn and engage in online social media outlets.
5) Plan the work and work the business development plan on a daily and weekly basis.
The bottom line with business development is that it starts with you. So start where you are, make a plan, take action and stay focused on a daily and weekly basis.
Do you want to learn how to develop more business and increase your sales? Then I suggest you Check out my New Guide now.
If you want to find out more information about business development, this article might help: Secrets to Business Development
To your continued Success,